Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mommy's and Daddy's


The other day Joe, Reece, Adam and I were in the backyard playing on our swing set with our neighbors Francie(my friend) and Owen(Reece and Adam's friend). Adam really loves his "little tykes" slide but for some reason on this day he was insistent on trying out the "big" slide. I helped him climb the ladder and set him gently at the top of the slide. While holding onto him I walked to the side of the slide, said ready, set, go and held on to his sweatshirt as he slid down the slide. He loved it so we did this same routine over and over again. Finally, Reece needed some help on the swing so Adam found something else to do for a minute until he wanted to slide again. This time daddy helped him...before I knew it...to my surprise... Adam was flying down the slide with no one holding onto his sweatshirt...where was daddy? He was standing next to the slide saying "what?"..."I just gave him a push!" Of course Adam loved "Daddy's way" of sliding too!

This small event in our life brought to light how important it is for our children to have both parents because if it was always me then Adam might be "5 before he slides down the slide alone" ;) and if he just had daddy then he might "get pushed too fast too soon." Together we create a balance for the boys although we have and will continue to make mistakes along the way. Every child benefits from having a Mommy and a Daddy...to know when to hold on and when to give a gentle push...

No comments: